Thursday 27 October 2011

DVD review: The Slaughter (2006)


When six college students take a job cleaning up an abandoned house their plans to work hard by day and play hard by night are interrupted when they awake an ancient evil demon.
It starts off like a typical horror movie but becomes more and more comedy with witty ironic comments which in my opinion is a big mistake. The shift makes me wonder if different writers did the first 20 minutes or so.

The similiarites with Evil Dead and Night of the Demons are many, there is an incantation book bound in flesh and it involves demons attacking a house full of teenagers, they chop up one of the "baddies" with an ax and the body parts were jittering about on the floor. Is it a "homage" or "ripoff" of Evil Dead, it´s your call.The acting isn't that great but female cast is very pleasant on the eyes. Adriana Esquivel...oh my my my! But the awful attempts at humor almost kills this movie for me.
The special fx are decent for the budget but the visual effects are incredibly lame, in one sequence you can actually see through characters that are blue screened in.
Rating: 1½ out of 7.  The  film offers copious amounts of gore and female nudity but the choice to make the film humorous is a downer.  It is not the worst horror movie I've ever seen, hey I like blood and violence and monsters but I hate comic or campy horror, which this supposedly is but was not packaged as such. 
So this is not for you who want to pitch-black and serious horror.

No comments:

Post a Comment